The Specialized Carriers & Rigging Association (SC&RA) presented its Environmental Award to Maxim Crane Works, L.P., Monroeville, Pa., on April 18 during closing night ceremonies of its Annual Conference in Carlsbad, Calif. As part of its commitment to “go green with increased awareness and visibility for environmental issues,” SC&RA instituted the annual award four years ago to acknowledge a member company that has made outstanding contributions to environmental protection.
“The company has internal standards that go well beyond complying with regulations and encompass strong programs designed to reduce environmental impact and preserve the planet’s beauty and resources for generations to follow,” said SC&RA Chairman Alan Barnhart. The Association recognized Maxim Crane Works, L.P. for a number of green initiatives, including:
- The development of third party, certified, spill-prevention control and countermeasure plans at all company locations throughout the United States
- Fleet upgrades that result in operations averaging 43 percent lower than the stringent required emission levels established by the California Air Resources Board
- Maintenance plans that subject all company equipment to preventative inspections from 250 to 400 hour levels and computerized scheduling programs to alert the maintenance group about upcoming inspections, which target 120 key points that ensure the fleet operates at top efficiency and help eliminate leaks and other environmental concerns.
- An extensive recycling program for all waste oils, coolants, paper, wood, metal and plastics.
- A general waste management component committed to waste minimization, avoidance, segregation, recycling and re-use; waste labeling and containment; proper waste handling, storage and transport; and correct waste treatment and disposal
The Specialized Carriers & Rigging Association (SC&RA) is an international trade association of more than 1,300 members from 46 nations. Members are involved in specialized transportation, machinery moving and erecting, industrial maintenance, millwrighting and crane and rigging operations, manufacturing and rental. SC&RA helps members run more efficient and safer businesses by monitoring and affecting pending legislation and regulatory policies at the state and national levels; researching and reporting on safety concerns and best business practices; and providing four yearly forums where these and other relevant member issues can be advanced.