Konecranes Acquires Indian Manufacturer, WMI Cranes

In early October of last year, Konecranes announced that it had entered into an agreement to acquire the Indian crane company WMI Cranes Ltd. (“WMI”).   As of August, 11, 2011, Konecranes has now completed the second phase of the acquisition whereby its ownership in WMI has increased from 51 percent to 100 percent.

WMI Cranes, based in Kolkata, engineers overhead cranes for a range of sectors, including chemical, steel, fertilizer, paper, cement and stock yards. It offers bulk handling equipment such as stackers and spreaders for use in ports, as well as parts and services.

With manufacturing facilities in Mumbai and Jejuri, the company has installed 4,000 cranes in India. Its net sales last year exceeded €30m.
Konecranes acquired WMI’s shares in two phases. In the first phase in February, Konecranes acquired 51 percent of the shares for INR 1,690 million (approx. EUR 28 million). In the second phase Konecranes purchased the remaining 49 percent of the shares. The total price for 100 percent of the shares in WMI amounted to INR 3,578 million (approx. EUR 57 million). The purchase price includes approx. EUR 2 million investment in WMI’s equity according to the purchase agreement.

The acquisition marks an important step in strengthening Konecranes’ position in the growing Indian crane market.  The acquisition is expected to have a neutral impact on the EPS in 2011.

Get the free newsletter

Sign up for news, trends and equipment for sale in the lifting and rigging industry.
By signing up you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. You may unsubscribe at any time.

Latest Products For Sale

Type Description
Equipment National Brand - Used 5x7 and 6x12 Dies - All dies meet specifications - Various…
Equipment 100 Feet of Steel Framing • Last four sections of pre-owned 1.3 mil test bed…
Equipment 300K – 62 ft. PTM SATEC • Hydraulic guards • 62’ overall length • 6’…
Equipment 100K x 40 ft. Single Range, 7.5HP Manual Control Texmate Readout, 2’ Stroke – Tube…
Equipment Refurbished 500K Lucker Wire Rope Grip • Manual Operated • Front Face Mount • 500,000…

News & Articles