The American Society of Mechanical Engineers (ASME) paid tribute to 10 of the profession’s best and brightest during its annual Honors Assembly celebration at the 2010 ASME International Mechanical Engineering Congress in Vancouver, British Columbia this past November. The event, presented by the ASME Foundation and the Committee on Honors, featured a multimedia program paying tribute to some of today’s leading engineers, educators, entrepreneurs and innovators.
“As engineers and members of ASME, we take pride in our achievements and the pursuit of excellence,” noted John Cipolla, chair of the ASME Committee on Honors, who co-hosted the ceremony with ASME President Robert Simmons. Cipolla also thanked the honorees for their extraordinary work and for providing inspiration for future generations. “You exemplify the very reason we celebrate engineering,” he added.
The 10 luminaries who were recognized during the lavish event were:
• John E. Abele, former chairman of Boston Scientific Corp., recipient of the ASME Medal;
• William J. Adams, engineering consultant, recipient of ASME Honorary Membership;
• Harry Armen, former chief technologist at Northrop Grumman Corp., recipient of ASME Honorary Membership;
• Thomas W. Asmus, former senior research executive for the DaimlerChrysler Corp., recipient of the Soichiro Honda Medal;
• Gary L. Cowger, chairman and chief executive officer at GLC Ventures LLC, recipient of the M. Eugene Merchant Manufacturing Medal;
• June Ling, associate executive director for ASME Standards & Certification, recipient of the Melvin R. Green Codes and Standards Medal;
• Keith Thayer, president of Garuda U.S. Inc., recipient of ASME Honorary Membership;
• Charles M. Vest, president of the U.S. National Academy of Engineering, recipient of the Ralph Coats Roe Medal;
• David N. Wormley, the Harold and Inge Marcus Dean of Engineering at Pennsylvania State University, recipient of ASME Honorary Membership; and
• Sam Y. Zamrik, professor emeritus of engineering mechanics at Penn State University, recipient of ASME Honorary Membership.